Tips on Moving to a New Home
|The key to an easy move is careful planning. There are steps you can take - from 60 days prior to the move until moving day - to make sure you have all your bases covered properly to eliminate potential stress. Take the time to write down your decisions and "to-do's" covered below. Ideally, you should try to break up the tasks over a sixty day period. By doing so, you won't overload your schedule or mind, and it can even save you money.|
60 Days Prior to Moving
- Get estimates from at least three professional movers. If you are going to do it yourself, get prices on rental trucks.
- Decide which furniture and household goods you'll be taking and which needs to be disposed of or sold. Be sure to note what needs to be replaced if you get rid of something.
- If you will be moving to a new city, contact the Chamber of Commerce of that town for a new residence packet. Your real estate agent may also have information.
42 Days Prior to Moving
- Inventory your possessions besides furniture: Kitchenware, decorative items, electronics, apparel, etc.
- Complete a change of address form with the post office - this can easily be done online. Notify organizations, credit cards companies, and any publications to which you subscribe of your new address.
- Obtain copies of all medical, dental, legal, accounting, and veterinarian records.
- If children are changing schools, arrange for transfer of educational records.
- Itemize moving-related costs with the mover including packing, loading, special charges, and insurance.
30 Days Prior to Moving
- Make arrangements for packing your belongings. If you will be using professional movers, schedule with the moving company for packing to take place a day or two before the move. If you will handle packing on your own, purchase adequate boxes, packing materials and tape.
- Arrange for short-term or long-term storage if needed.
- Make travel arrangements for pets including necessary medical records, immunizations, medication and so on.
21 Days Prior to Moving
- Begin packing items you won't need immediately or that will go into storage.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move to order termination or turn-on for occupancy date.
- Confirm travel arrangements for family and pets.
14 Days Prior to Moving
- Terminate newspaper and other delivery services.
- If necessary, arrange and confirm new bank accounts and local services in your new neighborhood.
7 Days Prior to Moving
- Gather important papers, records, and valuables for protected shipment to new home or safe deposit box.
- Obtain any prescription medications needed for the next few weeks.
Day Before, or Moving Day
- Defrost refrigerator/freezer and give away all perishable food.
- Keep a box marked "Last Box Packed/First Box Unpacked" for tools, flashlights, first aid kit and so on. On moving day, this should be the last box placed on the truck.
- Pack items to carry with you such as valuables, financial records, personal papers, and so on.
- Give the movers a telephone number and address to reach you.
Prudential Verani Realty and our agents are dedicated to all our customers. We will be there to help you every step of the way.
Articles for Home Buyers
Prudential Verani Realty Agent login Click Here